Outdoor Hour Challenge - Autumn Series: Goldenrod or Other Autumn FlowersWe live in an area that isn't a meadow-y, and I knew we hadn't seen any Goldenrod in the past couple weeks, so I instructed my kids to be on the lookout for flowers of any kind.
There were plenty of Common Sunflowers

Lots of Bird's-foot Trefoil


And this shrub/flower which I haven't yet been able to identify. I've been trying for a couple weeks now.

Here is a close up of the blooms:

Here is a close up of the stem and leaves:
I will probably give the kids the opportunity to journal about today's nature walk, but I don't think the flowers will beat out the other highlights of our walk. We were able to watch this mule deer grazing along the trail, and then a short time later we saw 6-8 more as they all crossed the street together. It's was weird to be in this stand of trees watching deer with the sounds of cars passing and construction in the distance.
Another highlight: as we walked by the fishing pond a nice man let the kids reel in a couple fish.
A couple more wonderful nature experiences from earlier this week:
Nyah found this beautiful spider - if you click on the picture you can see it is carrying its young on its back.
From the cattail challenge we had gathered some cattails to bring home, and they exploded yesterday as we sat around the kitchen table. I'm still finding seeds all over the place.
Nyah found this beautiful spider - if you click on the picture you can see it is carrying its young on its back.
From the cattail challenge we had gathered some cattails to bring home, and they exploded yesterday as we sat around the kitchen table. I'm still finding seeds all over the place.

Great entry! Before I forget....I think the yellow flower is Rabbitbush.
ReplyDeletehttp://extension.usu.edu/range/woody/rubberrabbitbrush.htm
I think some of what I took photos of and thought was goldenrod is actually rabbitbush too. I am going to have to go back and see. :)
Thanks for sharing your entry. Don't forget that asters were an alternative to goldenrod for this challenge. :)
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
I've been enjoying following along your autumn outdoor posts! Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteBarb-
ReplyDeleteI think you are right! Rubber Rabbitbush- that's quite a name!
Did you see my blog? I had a bunch of rabbitbrush too! I was sure that it was goldenrod until I saw your entry and then I did some research after seeing your photo and sure enough, rabbitbrush. I love learning something new.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your mystery flower and leading me down the right path. :)
Barb-Harmony Art Mom