Friday, April 24, 2009

Flowers!

For all my complaints about how stinky crabapple blossoms are, they really are breathtaking when in bloom. This street not far from our home caught our eyes on a recent outing.
While on a walk we spotted this butterfly/moth (we haven't had a chance to identify it yet!) getting a drink.
We spent a couple days doing some planting- Managing the hose, otherwise known as spraying everything possible including little sisters, is a favorite job, though not for the little sister.
We picked up some annuals and planted them in these fun tubs for our deck
Beautiful results-
My kids "weeded" a beautiful dandelion bouquet from the neighbor's yard for me.
My kids had been anxiously awaiting the first flowers from some bulbs we planted a couple weeks ago. Each day they would head outside to check the flower's progress. So it was a bit shocking for them when their 11 month old sister suddenly plucked the one closest to blooming- it got to bloom in a cup
Fortunately, it was only a few more days before there were plenty of flowers blooming.
For our flower study this week I let the kids pick any flower in our yard to draw-

Austin- Pansy
Nyah- Tulips

2 comments:

  1. This is a precious post....I love the way some things are universal. Kids and water. What else can you say. :)

    Your deck flowers are going to be a source of such delight. We have had a deck garden for many years now and it is just enough to keep my interest even during the hot summer months. I love to water on a hot summer morning to cool off my toes.

    Great journals this time too.

    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say it again--this is my favorite time of the year. Love your flowers--nothing teaches kids about loving nature more than growing something and them helping with that. And even here, although it's still somewhere between 40-60 degrees depending on the day, the daffodils are up, some tulips are showing, and the garden nurseries are starting to have interesting things to look at and think about. I've bought a few flowers--pansies, snapdragons and geraniums--and even if they freeze and I have to buy more, I can enjoy them a bit first. Love your projects and love the kids drawings. Mom

    ReplyDelete