We are moving on to a new Artist, so I thought I would share some of the resources we have used for our Jackson Pollock study. The point of our Artist Studies is to be able to recognize the artist's work, but I like to add in some biographical information appropriate for kids
youtube is awesome!! I wanted to show my kids how Jackson Pollock painted- prowling around a huge canvas on the floor, flicking brushes and splattering paint everywhere- but of course I didn't want them watching a complete documentary about him (due to his personal life- not appropriate information for them). Youtube, of course, had several great, short clips of him that were exactly what I wanted. Just search "Jackson Pollock."
The library also had a couple great books about him:
Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists: Jackson Pollock by Mike Venezia
Action Jackson by Jan Greenburg and Sandra Jordan
Personally, I loved the widget on my sidebar that let you use your computer mouse to make a Jackon-like painting. I spent way to much time channeling my inner-Pollock.
At Barnes & Noble I found a Taschen Portfolio of Jackson Pollock's paintings for only $5- a great deal! Using magnetic tape I would post one on our fridge for my kids and I to study. We had some great discussions about the paintings during lunch!
We will be studying my favorite artist next- Claude Monet!!
No comments:
Post a Comment