Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Outdoor Nature Hour #46 Woodchuck/Groundhog


The kids were greatly entertained by the videos from youtube at the above link, as well as a few others we found. The kids also enjoy the stories from The Burgess Animal book and coloring pictures for their notbooks while I read. Here are some pictures from a recent walk:


Deer tracks still abound in the area where we hike. I think a number of them are quite fresh, but this is based on my tracking knowledge gleemed from reading Louis L'Amour westerns :), so take it as you will.

Bird tracks were also abundant in the snow. There were several different kinds, but the light wasn't all that great for pictures. The track above was about 2-3 inches long. We actually saw tons of tracks, mostly human and dog, but also some rodent ones that I wasn't able to get good pictures of.

With the snow melting, we have to be much more careful as we hike with the many cactus plants now uncovered. I guess we are lucky to have not been pricked when the snow was deep, but we would sink when we stepped.

There were many of these mounds of dirt scattered throughout our hiking area. I suspect they are from prairie dogs, as they are quite common in Utah. We didn't see any holes and with the snow falling again I suspect they are hibernating still. As a side note, and as something somewhat pertinent to the discussions the Handbook brings up about these animals, I remember going out with my dad as a kid while he shot prairie dogs on his family land in southeastern Utah. At the time I thought it a grand adventure being with my dad, but I don't feel the same way about it now.

We continue to find large nests in the trees. In one area there are three large nests close together. I wonder if there is a mating pair that returns to the same area each year to nest or who is building these nests. It will be interesting to see if we can find out as springs comes closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment