Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Outdoor Hour Challenge #49- Bats

#49 Bats

The kids enjoed watching the youtube video & the Jeff Corwin video, as well as listenting to the hapter in the Burgess Animal Book about the bats. When it was time to do our notebook pages, Austin focused on vampire bats, something he was interested in a couple years ago. Nyah asked if bats can fly to the moon.
Austin's:
Nyah's:
Some pictures from our Outdoor Hour walk this week. It was a beautiful day, except for the freezing wind, which made Austin keep stopping and curling up in a ball in the ground. No matter how many times I told him he would stay warm if he kept moving, and that the only way to get home to get warm was to keep going, he would plop down and huddle in the snow.
Bird Tracks
Common sunflowers, a favorite with the songbirds, who fly away as soon as we are in sight. The kids had quite a bit of fun chasing after them to scare them away. As I mentioned in my post for Winter Wednesday, we usually catch sight of a bird-of-prey and the songbirds are all hidden, but on this day the bird-of-prey was absent and the songbirds were out in force. We were able to identify magpies and house finches.
Can't keep them out of the trees, though truthfully, I certainly don't try.
I actually found myself up a tree to examine one of the nests we found. Here is a picture:
A picture after I've cleared out some of the sticks. See the mud that has been used to line the inside? I wonder what bird built this nest.
As a follow-up to the Winter Wednesday about trees/berries, we took the time to examine the Utah Junipers, and discuss which may be male or female. This one, heavily laden with berries, was definitely female.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading through your post this week. The bird tracks, the tree climbing, the juniper berries...don't know which I liked the best. :)

    Great drawings of bats too!

    Thanks for sharing our link,
    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete