Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter Series #4 - Winter Weather


Outdoor Hour Challenge - Winter Series #4 - Winter Weather


I am behind in my challenge blogging!! We have still been working on our challenges. Luckily, for this challenge we have had a wide variety of weather lately - snowy days to foggy mornings to rainy afternoons to chilly sunny days.


The week of the challenge we put together a chart similar to the one we used during our Autumn Series - Weather study. Over a few days we kept track of the temperature in the morning and evening, recorded whether it was snowing, raining, or windy, and what the weather was overall for the day. This has made my kids more aware of weather changes, and with all the ones we are experiencing we are talking about the weather everyday.
We are also having some wonderful signs that spring is on its way - a good thing because I don't care for the cold, but also a not-so-good thing becase we do live in a desert and the mountains need all the snow they can get!! Also, we could enjoy nice weather this month and get slammed with snow storms next month. Weather is amazing!!
Some pictures from our walks-
Phlox starting to flower
We watched a squirrell scavenging seeds from the bushes one day at the park. He was climbing up the bushes to get the ones at the very top. In the picture, he is sitting on the rock to the left behind one of the bushes.
Lots of new green!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your top photo...it really makes me think of winter. I love mountains with snow on top and in our part of the world we see that scene a lot as well.

    Wildflowers though in the middle of Februrary...love it! I saw our first wildflowers this weekend as well and it made my heart leap inside. I love wildflower season.

    I think the desert is beautiful in its own special way. You are having a great weather study.

    Thanks for the link,
    Barb
    PS Don't forget to submit this to the OH Carnival.
    http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_9182.html

    ReplyDelete