We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (also known as LDS or mormons) and so our devotional materials reflect this.
Each year the church puts out an outline for the Primary (kids age 3 - 11) to use in weekly Sunday meetings and for a Primary program in the Fall. I use the suggested monthly themes, scriptures, and songs for the opening of our devotional, and we work on memorizing them as well. Here are the links for 2009 and 2010.
Then we read the scriptures together. We are currently reading the Book of Mormon using The Book of Mormon for Latter-Day Saint Families (I found it on clearance for $20-did not pay full price!!) using Penny Gardner's Scripture Highlights. Once we finish this we will be using this Book of Mormon Study Guide together, but that may be for our family scripture study and we would start the Bible for devotional using Penny's other scripture highlights.
We read from Gospel Principles, a manual covering the basics of our beliefs. We cover about one chapter each week.
I also think church history is very important, so I try to find ones that are kid appropriate. In the spring we read Stories from the Life of Joseph Smith, and now we are reading The Lord Needed a Prophet.
Then we alternate reading a few other resources:
A Story to Tell
LDS magazine for kids- The Friend
A Hive of Busy Bees
Wisdom and the Millers
(The last two are Menonite, but are great moral stories)
We try to do our devotional each morning, even non-school days. It takes about 30 minutes and really sets the tone for our day.
UPDATE (11-10-09): I forgot to mention some other links-
LDS Resources
Milestone's Academy devotional page. There are many wonderful ideas and plans- some I have used, some I haven't, some we will, and some we won't!
School of Abraham- Many wonderful links to check out.
Other Religious Resources
Ambleside Online addresses church history in each individual year, and has a hymn rotation schedule for memorization.
Simply Charlotte Mason has bible study in their history module, scripture memory packs, personal development, and hymn study as well.
Thanks for sharing. I have not come across some of the resources you mentioned here before. We start our day with singing time and Gospel study. I am still setting up a schedule but pretty much we do 1 week with a scripture story and then 1 week on a Gospel topic. (Like what we are learning in primary or some other theme I think the kids could use.) I need to start a scripture memorization program but have not set anything up yet.
ReplyDelete