Monday, November 30, 2009

Autumn Series: Winter Jumpstart

For those who aren't aware, we have been going through a crazy time, well, more crazy than normal. My daughter (almost 3) fell out of a shopping cart and ended up with a skull fracture, spending a couple days in the hospital, and needing close supervision the last couple weeks. She is doing wonderful, though not 100% yet- she does get occasional headaches and tires out quicker than before, but she is up and playing, fighting with her siblings, and asserting her personality, so her recovery looks great. School has been down to the bare minimum, and we are slowly getting back into the swing of things. My older kids and I have been able to go for a few walks, and we were able to do the last Autumn Series challenge over the weekend.

I made our list in the form of questions my kids asked as we went along:

1. What do the deer do in winter (mule deer in our area)?

2. Do mourning doves migrate?

3. What are the horned owl's nesting habits? Do horned owls migrate? They especially want to know if we will be able to find and watch the nestlings again this year.

4. How was this ditch made? (water/erosion)

5. What are the predators in our area?

6. What birds are in our area during the winter?

7. What happens to cactus during the winter?

This gives us plenty to learn about when we are inside on cold winter days!!!
More details/info on O can be found at our family blog: Our Days

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your little one's accident. I will keep her in my thoughts this week. :)

    Secondly, thank you so much for sharing your list. I feared that no one else was working on this challenge or worse, that they didn't understand it. I think you did a great job of recording down some interesting things to learn about as you have time this winter.

    Thanks again,
    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my Readers: Someone posted a comment about this post/Outdoor Hour and I hit the wrong button and deleted it! I'm sorry!! I think it was someone who was new to the Outdoor Hour, so best of luck and thank you for commenting on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete