Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winter Wednesday, Week 6 Winter Weeds

Winter Weeds

I have found that my kids prefer to explore at their own pace on our walks, so I take pictures and collect what is needed for us to do lessons at home. They tend to lose enthusiasm when I want them to come look at things or try to discuss something for longer than a sentence when we are out and about, but during school time they are perfectly willing. So I took pictures of 5 different plants and collected a branch from each one in a ziploc bag. The branches naturally shed seeds in the ziploc bags so we didn't have any trouble finding the seeds. I created a page with the pictures and had the kids match the pictures with the samples. Then we taped some seeds next to each picture and tried to identify each sample. We were only able to identify 2 of our samples, and decided some of the plants I picked weren't wildflowers at all, but one is a grass and I think the other is a native shrub of some kind. But the kids had a good time.

Native shrub:

Branch collection:
Nyah's:
Austin's:
Grass:
Common Sunflower--this was a favorite with the birds. This was our first walk where we saw a lot of songbirds. Usually on our walk we catch sight of a bird-of-prey that we have yet to identify (two kids & a dog make plenty of noise for a warning to all wildlife to skedaddle), but this time he wasn't to be seen and we were able to watch the birds eating from the sunflowers. We saw a number of magpies and finches.
Woolly Mullein--My favorite because of its unique look.

1 comment:

  1. You had such a great idea! I love collecting the branches and bringing them home to investigate.

    I saw a magpie the other day and they always make me laugh when they are on the ground because their tails are so long. They are pretty though.

    Won't it be fun to compare your winter landscape with your summer landscape this year now that you have spent some time looking at things this winter?

    I am really looking forward to seeing your photos later on in the year.

    Thanks for the link and the great idea.
    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete