The kids and I enjoying learning about Kangaroo Rats, Muskrats, and Beavers this week. We actually spent 45 minutes talking about Beavers after watching the videos at youtube. I am still amazed at how they walk on their hind legs, using their front legs and chin/mouth to carry mud and such up their lodge while they are constructing. They had a human look to them while they did this that is just amazing. Here is a link to that video.
Austin's Notebook Page:

Nyah's Notebook Page: She prefers the rainbow variety :) She also sketched a birds-eye-view of the waterways created by a Beaver when it builds the dam, and then makes channels into the surrounding areas to get trees.

The kids also really enjoyed reading the stories in the Burgess Animal Book. In their recordings about Kangaroo Rats the both mentioned that Kangaroo Rats don't need to drink water, because they get it from their food, and that they like to kick each other when fighting. It is always fun to see what details spark their interest.
Love the rainbow beaver. :) I am so glad that you enjoyed your nature study this week.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your link,
Barb-Harmony Art mom
Now I just love that rainbow beaver. It was similar to my daughter's easter rabbit when we did our ONS on rabbits in December~!
ReplyDelete