Monday, May 24, 2010

Spring Series #6 - Apple Trees

Outdoor Hour Challenges - Spring Series #6 - Apple Trees
We have been dealing with a medical situation concerning our 3 year old, O, which you can read about on our family blog if you are intererested. Unfortunately, this means the end of our school year was interrupted - I've spent 2 or 3 days a week at the hospital and the days at home I've been trying to catch up on home-stuff. But because it is Spring there are lots of wonderful things happening all around us, and now that it looks like we will have a break between appointments we are catching up with the Spring Series challenges.
With this Apple Tree challenge we did a condensed version - we found some apple trees at a home improvement store :). Even though I had read through the Handbook of Nature Study Apple Tree section, with my kids I stuck to the suggested observations in the challenge post and had them do a picture for their nature journals.
Some of the exciting things that have been happening in our own neighborhood:

The
black-chinned hummingbirds have returned. We could hear them flying around for a few days before we took the hint and put up our feeder. We have seen several males competing for the feeder and chasing each other away. If we are sitting on the deck and holding very still, they will come drink from the feeder.
On our neighbor's deck we have an American Robin couple who look to be starting a family. They built their nest on an outdoor speaker. We were all worried about how stable this location would be, but it has weathered several windy storms this week and even a snow storm this morning. It was exciting for my kids to watch as the nest was being built and then to stay on the look out for the eggs. We haven't seen the eggs - I don't think we are close enough. However, we have spotted the male and female changing places as they take turns sitting on the nest..
We spotted this bird of prey and were amazed to identify it as a Turkey Vulture. We have seen it on several different days - soaring above us on the look out for a tasty meal.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a bird theme this week....in addition to apple trees. :)

    I am so glad that you can take some time to enjoy your nature study in the midst of a difficult medical time. My three sons have a genetic disorder (Alagille Syndrome) as well so I know the ups and downs of diagnosis, not knowing, waiting, making difficult decisions. We are in a sort of sit and wait period of time for them and I try not to think too much about it unless I need to. I will keep our family in our prayers and thoughts.

    Thanks so much for sharing your entry. :)

    ReplyDelete