I'm really excited for the new May Newsletter from Handbook of Nature Study. I *hope* it will help us get back into doing nature study. The Spring weather already has us spending more time outside and our first nature study for this month is of a new bird visiting our birdfeeder - the Lazuli Bunting.
Here is a not so great photo:
This bird is not in the Handbook of Nature Study book, so we used our Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Western North America and All About Birds to learn more about the Lazuli Bunting.
Something interesting that stood out to my kids is that the Lazuli Bunting likes to live in "recent post-fire habitats" - they excitedly starting tell me we were seeing so many of them because of the fire near our city last year - my fire posts 1 and 2. Maybe . . . and maybe its because I changed the bird seed to a songbird variety :). Whatever the reason we are having fun watching these little blue beauties.
I let my kids color in a bird outline from the Notebooking Nook's Nature Study - Birds - this set of notebook pages is free at CurrClick.
![]() |
| N's picture |
![]() |
| A's picture |
![]() |
| O's picture - she decided to do another frequent visitor to our yard, the Robin :) |





I have never seen this bird before...so pretty! Love that you picked a new to your family bird to learn more about. Thanks for sharing! Your family did such a great job using the suggestions from the May Newsletter.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cute bird, I wish I had them where I live :)
ReplyDeleteWhat gorgeous colors! It's always exciting to see a new bird in your backyard.
ReplyDelete