Outdoor Hour Challenges - Autumn Series #2 - Bird Study: Geese
At home I gave A and N notebook pages for a goose and a duck from Enchanted Learning. I spent a few minutes reading some of the differences and similarities of these two birds from the Handbook of Nature Study. We also listened to geese and duck calls from our copy of The Backyard Birdsong Guide: Western North America.
Then we headed to a nearby park to see if we could find any geese or ducks.
There were 4 ducks and 1 goose. We had lots of fun throwing them popped popcorn while we talked about the differences and similarities we could see.
Goose on the left, duck on the right. When we came home we tried to identify the goose. I have almost, somewhat, possibly, maybe decided it is a Chinese Goose, but you can tell how sure I am.
Then we went for a nature walk through the woods in search of more interesting things.
N was excited to see some Rabbitbrush blooming. She is reading the American Girls: Josephina series and in one book the characters use rabbitbrush to make a yellow dye.
Lots of acorns . . . at least there is plenty of evidence the squirrels and other animals are enjoying the acorns.
And we were all excited to see TONS of deer.
There were several groups close to the walking trail. After our walk we went for a fall drive and saw many other groups feeding close to the road. Its that time of year!!









I think we saw a Chinese goose in our local pond too...my husband says it is for sure and I am not so sure. I told him I would just call it a generic "goose". :)
ReplyDeleteOur rabbit brush was not blooming last weekend but we are going to head up the mountain on Saturday to see if we can find some blooming then. It is so bright and cheery. Yellow dye? Interesting.
Thanks for sharing your all your interesting things from your day.