Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Series #3 - Summer Weather

Outdoor Hour Challenges - Summer Series - #3 Summer Weather Observations
We wanted to follow up with our Shadow Stick observations from the Spring Series Challenge #2. I meant to have the kids do this in June, but I was 9 months pregnant and it didn't happen. Before we started we talked about whether they thought the shadows would be in the same place or not. They predicted they would be different.

Watching the sunrise:
For their journal pages we talked about trying to draw the skyline as much like the real one as they could. They decided to try it a few times before doing one in their journals.
N's journal page-
A's journal page

We observed the sunset on an outing to a local park


3 comments:

  1. I love that you had them do predictions. What a great idea....

    I think that your children learned some valuable things in this challenge and now they can do some comparisons in the future to see how things change again.

    Thanks for sharing your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sky Rise! I think we may journal that here! We only see Sun Sets from our west facing home sitting against a East ridge of trees. I never thought to do the weather stick again to compare, great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you focused on the shadows, that's a neat way to get the idea across. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete