Sunday, August 16, 2009

Its Inevitable . . .

As the new school year draws closer, I often find myself in the following situation: I'm talking with another mom- one who doesn't home school- and we reach the point where we discuss the upcoming school year. I share that I home school and with a twist of the conversation I suddenly feel like I'm been turned into a saint-

"Oh, you must be so patient" or fill in your choice of adjectives
"I know I could never do that because of whatever reason"
"That is such a fabulous thing for you to do"

and I can't help wondering who she is talking about.

I see myself as a normal mom with normal kids. My husband and I have simply taken advantage of being able to make a different school and life choice for our family. We are far from being "saintly" and when we are I think we must be sleeping.

In our house there is plenty of whining, complaining, arguing, tantrums, and resistance to chores and school work- sometimes the kids and sometimes me. While we have lots of happy, wonderful times, we can also be impatient, irritable, grumpy, cranky, lazy, obstinate, and querulous. We start our days with "plans", but they can frequently go off-target. My house is tidy and pleasant for maybe all of 5 minutes a day, and the rest of the time a tornado has come through (usually disguised as a toddler named Olivia or Jolie).

Like many parents in many different situations I often wonder if we are doing the right thing, if we are being good parents, what can we do to be better and do better, maybe we should do this or try that. I guess that like all other parents, making whatever type of educational choices, we are just doing the best we can and being there for our kids.

Okay I will admit it- I think that is pretty saintly.

No comments:

Post a Comment